Vomiting and Diarrhea Treatment in Greenwood, SC

If you or someone in your family is suffering from vomiting or diarrhea, you can try home remedies or have it treated here at AFC Urgent Care Greenwood. We can see patients of any age, and no appointment is necessary, so we can see them right away and treat them right on the spot. Come see us today if you need vomiting and diarrhea treatment in Greenwood, SC. For more information, please call us or schedule an appointment online!

Vomiting and Diarrhea Treatment in Greenwood, SC

Should I go to the doctor if I throw up?

This really depends on factors like whether the vomiting is accompanied by nausea. If so, and if it has been going on for over a week or if there’s any possibility of pregnancy, then go to the doctor. In most cases of vomiting, it gets better within 6 to 24 hours and can be treated at home, but you should see a doctor if at-home treatment doesn’t work, if dehydration is occurring, if an injury or infection is what caused the vomiting, or if the vomiting lasts for over a day.

In many circumstances, it’s necessary for an infant or a child to go to the doctor for vomiting. Also, it’s necessary for you to go to the ER (emergency room) if any life-threatening or possibly life-threatening problems occur, such as:

  • Blood in your vomit
  • A stiff neck
  • Lethargy
  • Confusion
  • Lessened alertness
  • Severe pain in the area of the abdomen
  • Rapid pulse/breathing
  • A fever over 101 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Headache that’s severe
  • Diarrhea that accompanies the vomiting

What do I do if I throw up my medication?

This may depend on your medication. It might be a good idea to call your pharmacist, your primary care physician, or our clinic and ask about whether it’s safe to take another dose of your medication after vomiting.

How do I stop diarrhea right now?

One way is to get anti-diarrheal medication like Pepto-Bismol. Only one dose can be enough to relieve diarrhea. If you have this medication or are able to pick some up, it could easily help you.

Another option is with certain foods or rice water. You can make your own rice water with rice. The rice water will help to prevent dehydration and reduce the duration of the diarrhea. Foods like bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, clear broth, saltine crackers, and potatoes can provide quick relief. In some cases, taking a probiotic supplement or eating a probiotic food, like probiotic yogurt, will help. In other cases, antibiotics may be necessary.

When should you go to urgent care for diarrhea?

You should go to urgent care for your diarrhea if you:

  • Have had it for over two days
  • Have any blood in or any black color to your stools
  • Have a fever higher than 102 F
  • Have severe pain in your abdomen or your rectum
  • Are dehydrated because of your diarrhea

You should take your child to a doctor immediately if your child:

  • Hasn’t gotten better after a day
  • Is unusually sleepy, irritable, or unresponsive
  • Hasn’t had a wet diaper in 3 hours or longer
  • Has blood in or a black color to your child’s stools
  • Has a sunken appearance to your child’s abdomen, eyes, or cheeks
  • Has skin that doesn’t flatten when it’s pinched and released
  • Has a fever over 102 F
  • Is experiencing signs of dehydration, like a dry mouth/tongue, or like crying without having any tears

For diarrhea, vomiting, or any other non-emergency situation, come see us at AFC Urgent Care Greenwood. We can see you right away without an appointment, and we’re available 7 days a week. You’ll find us over at 474 Bypass 72 NW Suite B Greenwood, SC 29649-1404 or you can reach us at (864) 383-1695.

474 Bypass 72 NW Suite B
Greenwood, SC 29649-1404